Every year, as new dermal fillers come onto the market, patients have more and more options to, basically, get a liquid facelift rather than the surgical variety. Of course, the results aren’t permanent, but there isn’t any recovery time, either. Dr. Hetzler offers a broad assortment of dermal fillers, along with fat and collagen injections to his patients who want to turn back the clock.
Here are five of our most popular fillers, where they are the most effective, and how long they last.
- Restylane® — Hyaluronic acid is the basis of this popular filler. Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance in the body that is responsible for plumping the skin. You may have heard of it being injected into the joints of people suffering from arthritis. Once injected as a filler, the hyaluronic acid molecules bind to water molecules in the skin, pushing the skin up and making it smooth and more youthful. Restylane’s strength is for improving wrinkles and creases around the mouth and lips, as well as those under the eyes. Because it has a thinner consistency and spreads well, it works well on areas with thinner skin.
- Juvederm® — Equally popular, Juvederm is also a hyaluronic acid-based filler. Juvederm is more often used to restore volume and address deeper wrinkles, especially those around the mouth and nose and on the forehead. Dr. Hetzler offers three types of Juvederm: Juvederm XC, Juvederm Voluma XC, and Juvederm Ultra Plus. Each has different characteristics that target different issues.
- Perlane® — Perlane is made by the same company as Restylane and both fillers are hyaluronic acid-based. But that’s where their similarities end. Perlane is much thicker, making it best for improving large nasolabial folds and other deeper creases such as worry lines on the forehead. It can also be injected into the lips to increase volume and size. Due to its thicker consistency, however, Perlane needs to be injected into areas where there is underlying fat to hide it.
- Sculptra® — Sculptra is different than other fillers because its results are not instant. But after those effects have taken place, they are long lasting, providing improvements for up to two years. Sculptra is made from poly-L-lactic acid, which encourages the body to produce new collagen. Why is this important? Collagen is the skin’s basic support structure, making it firm and taut, and its production drops every year as we age. Sculptra is effective for nasolabial lines, marionette lines, and lines on the forehead.
- Artefill® — Artefill is the first “permanent filler” approved by the FDA. It is made from a combination of plymethylmethacrylate (PMMA) and purified bovine collagen. While it isn’t really permanent (one injection and done), this filler has long-lasting results. Most people think five to 10 years is the timeframe for its effectiveness. Artefill is only used on nasolabial folds.
Call us at 732-219-0447 and let’s talk about which dermal fillers may be right for you.