If you’ve lost a dramatic amount of weight, whether through serious lifestyle change or bariatric surgery, you’ve reached your target weight, but your skin didn’t get the memo. While you are now dramatically smaller, your skin is sagging and loose all over. This is because if the skin is overly stretched for a long period of time, it will not return to its former degree of tautness.
If this is your story, body contouring with Dr. Hetzler is the answer.
Body contouring reduces excess fat and skin that remains in multiple body areas. The end result is a firmer, more contoured overall appearance. And isn’t that what you wanted when you lost all the weight in the first place?
Where are the common problem areas?
When your skin has been severely stretched and is now unsupported by the expanded tissues and fat while you were heavy, it will sag in pockets. These are the most common areas:
- Face, neck, and jowls giving a droopy, sad appearance
- Upper arms giving a “bat wing” appearance
- Breasts, causing the nipples to point downward and the breasts to flatten
- Abdominal area giving you an apron-like overhang
- Buttocks, groin, and thighs leaving hanging pockets of skin
What surgeries are involved in body contouring?
As with any procedure, the situation of every patient is unique to that patient. During your body contouring consultations with Dr. Hetzler you will discuss areas that you both agree need to be addressed. These are the plastic surgeries that Dr. Hetzler may recommend.
- Lower body lift to correct sagging of the abdomen, buttocks, groin, and outer thighs
- Breast lift to correct sagging, flattened breasts
- Arm lift to correct sagging of the upper arms
- Thigh lift to correct sagging of the inner, outer, and mid-thigh
As you would assume, body contouring surgery is quite invasive with many areas of your body addressed at one time. There will be swelling and scarring. You won’t be able to strain or lift anything for from several days to weeks. If your abdomen and thighs have been addressed you may have to avoid standing fully upright to avoid stressing the internal sutures.
This all sounds quite dreadful, but the end result is what you have to consider. The prospect of having a firmer, contoured body that matches your new smaller size is the goal, and there will be discomfort but you need to keep the end goal in mind.
If you’ve lost dramatic amounts of weight and aren’t happy with the sagging that remains, call Dr. Hetzler at 732-219-0447 to schedule a consultation for body contouring surgery.